Looks like we will have no blackops dedi's.

Derek

any news on the new medal of honor if they will have public dedicated servers or just for rank host's like BC2 again. thire killing GSP's

Cobby, please start a new thread instead of steering things off course. However, to answer you, yes MOH is reserved for the RSPs or Ranked Server Providers as well will be most or all future EA titles.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after reading all 8 pages of this I feel sick to my stomach. However this is a natural progression of the "ranked" provider solution. Yes is is the fault of every ranked provider here, just like it is the fault of every provider here that scrambled to get it and failed. I dread to think about the next set of games that come from Valve and ID as they watch what happens here. But it is pointless to worry about what is already done. The question here is what do we do now. As I see it here are 3 possibilities

1. Do nothing and see what happens

Maybe it will just sort it self out. Perhaps it is only a temp thing (i.e. 6 months to a year contract). They did say they are going to work on mod tools so if that is true, then maybe they will let out public files once they have reached a set goal of number of sales. This way they force people to buy the game since a cracked version is almost impossible.

2. Cut your losses with this game and go after another like GS did.

Its a brave new world and its time to embrace the future. If thats the game they want to play then do it better than them and get every other game you can to do this with you and not them. This may be difficult since no one provider could out bid GS, but maybe if a GSP Coalition, that has set standards, and combined money could do this. It has to work fast and grab every single game it can. This is a war of attrition and they have fired the first shot. This will be difficult since many GSPs will need to work together.

3. Fight Back with Indy games / Mods/ Developers who are not bitches.

Some of the greatest games started as mods to other games. Maybe it time to reach out to the community and help design and promote new games that are free! Everyone has source/ob, and those game servers are free so lets start moding or at least help it. This is a way we can work together as a GSP community with out directly working together. Start looking for good games and help bring the hype for them as long as they remain open dedicated servers.

Well this is how I see it. I guess their is always option 4, which is send an email to GS to see if they will buy you out. I think we have options other than that, but the question is which will the majority of the community follow. Also I think that TCADMIN should chime in on this since this does affect them. Perhaps they can lead the charge in creating some type of League of GSPs. Perhaps get a nice big round table that we can all sit at and discuss how to defeat GS.com and the other threats to the gaming world, such as the Wii, facebook, and the iphone. Just a thought.

George

"Moving On" is the worst possible thing you can do. No wonder GameServers.com has always been the largest as you are just letting them walk all over us.

Not meaning it like that....

My point was that, yes they have this game, and much I would love to fight them, as others have said their GSP arm is but a tiny piece of what they do.

My point was that this is one game..... there are still loads of titles out there.

After Activision/Infinity Ward pulled the stunt with MW2 not having dedis, we complained, fought and lobbied, but at the end of the day, whilst we were we were still selling servers, just for different games.

The same applies here, yes we can take whatever action we can, however the fact still remains that there are other games.

I for one am getting really excited about what this could potentially cause........

Customers don't like being told who to buy frorm thats a fact of any industry, and the game developers of the future likewise, dont like to be told who will sell their wares.

This could trigger a new wave of indie fps titles.... there are 1 or 2 starting to emerge as it is.

My point was simply that this is just one game, yes a big hitter, but still just 1 game.

Downfall is customers also said they are going to protest against MW2 cause of no deddy files but 75% of the protesters are playing MW2...

People will say they are not going to buy it because of this but they still will because its a new exciting game instead of the same ole. Its just the sad truth MW2 is a very popular title and tons of people still play it. And the servers still suck on it LOL

in a perfect world ranked providers would boycott their own ranked status to protest and show game developpers things went too far with those exclusinve stuffs.

I have never applied to any ranked program and I hope to never have to, if my business is threatened then I may simply look for another job than start bitching with ranked status.

On another hand my business kept growing at the same time because I focused on moreimportant stuffs such as support, uptime and features to customers.

I second what gemcneill said, we have a few options but as long as greedy ppl will be around applying for ranked status and providing ranked servers then it will be harder to defeat that system that will kill (maybe slowly but still kill) the GSP?industry on the long term, including ranked providers.

Whats the next step? Game developpers hosting their own titles for even more $$ ?

Downfall is customers also said they are going to protest against MW2 cause of no deddy files but 75% of the protesters are playing MW2...

People will say they are not going to buy it because of this but they still will because its a new exciting game instead of the same ole. Its just the sad truth MW2 is a very popular title and tons of people still play it. And the servers still suck on it LOL

i boycotted MW2. never signed the petition. Ran into a reallt good deal one day and bought it. Ive played the campaign ans specops several times over. I played 10 minutes of multiplayer and it was terrible and never did again. Then again the MP is what i was protesting.

Im pretty sure GS.com is selling Black Ops Dedicated Boxes as well. :grin::grin::grin:

i boycotted MW2. never signed the petition. Ran into a reallt good deal one day and bought it. Ive played the campaign ans specops several times over. I played 10 minutes of multiplayer and it was terrible and never did again. Then again the MP is what i was protesting.

Im pretty sure GS.com is selling Black Ops Dedicated Boxes as well. :grin::grin::grin:

even if you never played the game you bought it. Makes a +1 in sales and thats all what activision is looking at. Its like if you had sent them al etter saying "I totally support you guys, keep up the good work, here is my money use it to make another game like that".

I am sure Activision (treyarch will have no say in any of this) will read the letter while they light their cigars with 100 dollar bills and then stamp out a response that sounds like they care but really they don't give a shit. Unless you lined that email with money and lots of it, no one of real consequence will read it or respond to it. Why would they, from their perspective they are providing dedicated servers, they do not have to worry about them (by running them) they are able to prevent cracks since the files are not public. They throw the community a bone and still keep their server files intact.

That being said I hope something come out of it, but what they have done is a sound business decision. The people at the top are picked not because they know how to make good games, listen to the community, but how to make money and keep the investors happy. Investors dont care about long term, or the truth, they care about what is the stock price and the money they will receive. Go Capitalism

George

Well I see an anti-trust angle that can be played here. I think the VP of VSNX is a lawyer if memory serves me correctly. So maybe they can put a little question in the back of the minds on the higher ups at Activision/Treyarch.

However anti-trust cases are very difficult to work through and take a ton of time, effort and $$$$.

Best case scenario I can see happening is they allow other ranked providers to offer the game. Which means the small GSPs are still screwed anyways as they will not be picked to become a ranked partner.

Just my opinion for what it is worth...

Just playing devils advocate here, because personally don't have an interest in this title, but nonetheless and interesting topic --- 1, 2, or 3 companies sending letter(s) no matter how pretty its written, isn't going to amount to jack. Someone already pointed out here, if they ever even budged at all you would need the combined efforts of the player base to actually state and then follow through with their demands. Frankly the only way that will happen is if they horribly fail at providing a standard service for the overall majority of players. Which we all know they are capable of doing at the present time.

The goal is to make opening up the provider pool the easier option for Activision. We'll see.

I hope you have some success Jon. I doubt they will budge on the matter, and I am sure that their lawyers have found some loophole around anti-trust issues.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained. It would be awesome to see others allowed to host the game.

Awesome, that press release has just saved me ?40.

I can safely say i will not be wasting my money on a game where they think they can dictate who/how we play a game we purchase. MW2 pushed the line, and now Activision have took a long jump across it.

I wonder if some of CEO's at Actvision have shares in GS.

I could see some angry GSP providers DDos'in those GS servers all day lol...or any servers that become populated.

We may be angry over this, but i would think that the GSP's are more disappointed than anything.

I also believe that the morals of the GSP's would keep them from sinking down to that level.

my .25

We may be angry over this, but i would think that the GSP's are more disappointed than anything.

I also believe that the morals of the GSP's would keep them from sinking down to that level.

my .25

There are people out there with ddos networks... those are the people that will go about doing that. Maybe not you and I, but I ran into enough trouble makers over the past few years.

Archived