Looks like we will have no blackops dedi's.

Derek

After some though and some research on upcoming games etc... I think some form of GSP organization may be in order.

This would not be to try to go after EA or Activision for their current actions, rather it would be to create a group to speak directly with smaller game developers and publishers to promote the importance of dedicated server files and not the need for ranking systems along with promoting and possibly shaping their games.

Any thoughts from the rest of you?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After some though and some research on upcoming games etc... I think some form of GSP organization may be in order.

This would not be to try to go after EA or Activision for their current actions, rather it would be to create a group to speak directly with smaller game developers and publishers to promote the importance of dedicated server files and not the need for ranking systems along with promoting and possibly shaping their games.

All they need to do is read this http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13374

But alas they don't listen.

It's been posted for almost 3 years!

If I recall correctly this exact idea was put in place a few years back, I believe to do with BF2 and the whole ranked server fiasco.. If memory serves Steve from AOWC put it together?

Anyways, it should be something activision/ea can see themselves. If they are going to set-up PC games the same way as consoles they are going to loose a completely different market. PS3s cost $300 and I would much rather pay $300 for a system that won't become outdated as fast as a computer if I'm playing a "ranked" system. I can't afford the $3000 computer some people are using so they will always have that advantage.

To be honest I've already bought the PS3 and that junk because a good game without the ranked crap hasn't come out in awhile. I've been playing NHL10/11 exclusively the past year... like common EA :)

Well I agree with Derek they are big but I just don't think that they can accommodate the high demand theirs going to be on release date . Imean at least 1000 are going to be bought and set up that day.I don't think gameservers. Infastructure can handle it. At least not until week-month when they get things working and things smooth. Out.

Well I agree with Derek they are big but I just don't think that they can accommodate the high demand theirs going to be on release date . Imean at least 1000 are going to be bought and set up that day.I don't think gameservers. Infastructure can handle it. At least not until week-month when they get things working and things smooth. Out.

They would be completely ready assuming they already paid big bucks to get that exclusivity. Smart guys running that, regardless of quality etc etc they are bringing in the dough!

I would like to see the peak time :)

Maybe they will post something on their page to praise themselfs

the only way to make them learn anything os to NOT buy the game but guess what, tons of ppl pretending they dont like the way blackOps was released will still buy the game giving full credit to activision to keep going that way. and CoD8 will be hosted by activision themselves to make even more $$$. You wanted it you got it.

CoD8 will be hosted by Activision themselves to make even more $$$. You wanted it you got it.

As far as a ranked system goes, only way to safely host it is for Activision to do it themselves or exclusively through one host. This is their plan! Don't buy any ranked games. Eventually its going to come down to us GSPs dropping any Activision games I hope. Yes we all make a lot of money off the other games in the cod series for example (cod4 etc.) but what will we do if they continue to release ranked games?

How good is ranked anyway... you'll never beat the 40yov playing near 24/7 :p

never bought any ranked game, never applied to any kind of ranked hosting program. I wish every1 could just do the same and stop being greedy in the short term. Cuz every1 including nowadays ranked partners are losing money on the medium/long run. And time goes fast in this industry so consider medium/long term as 1 or 2 years.

• 3 months later...

Why are we resurrecting a dead thread?

Yes a monopoly is wrong in America. But something being wrong doesn't prevent it crime happen all the time. Our courts are buried and backlogged with cases. So someone has to have the money and legal know how to take the case up.

And don't forget the only case is against gameservers.com as Activision is fully allowed to restrict distribution of their product to whomever they like. Its there code and no law requires distribution of something you create. You can choose who gets it and when and at what price. So to prosecute anything hear one must prove that gameservers.com actively engaged in and is engaging in locking everyone out. Meanwhile they are just going to tote that Activision is just worried about server hacking so wanted to restrict access to the code which is their right to do so. So unless you Legaly have copies of correspondence proving your case good luck.

Archived