No MW2 Dedicated Server?

pesultra

Your correct we will lose some clients and that's been happening for a couple years now. But like Derek said most of the console "kiddies" are kids. I have three kids a 20 yr old, 15 and 13. My two younger ones have the ps2,Nintendo ds and xbox 360 live. They play those console's quite often but when they look at AA3, l4d, or a cod series on my gaming rig there first question is why are the graphics so much better? your always going to have the diehard pc player and it's a shame the game manufactures don't see this. But it's just another game that will fail to bad judgment for whatever reason just like AA3, farcry 2 and a few others before that.

At least someone understands my point. PC graphics will always be better then Console the younger kids will always be playing the conosle before they play the PC as it's a more controlled environment.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PC Gaming has been "dying" for the last 10 years. Get over it, there is and will always be a market for PC Games, it is just a different market. Just like people will continue to line up and pay premiums for apple products, there will always be gamers that demand the extra functionality that a general use computer provides. I'm sure Valve and blizzard are laughing all the way to the bank. Just because you do not understand the niche role that PC Gaming plays doesn't mean that PC Gaming is dying, rather that you don't understand its role. In fact in my perception PC Gaming has done nothing but get stronger over the last few years.

This happens in every evolving industry though. Oh by the way I heard that Mainframes were the death of personal computing. Web hosting is also a dying market. Virtualization is the new trend. Cloud computing is the future. Get all these buzzwords and nonsense out of your thick skulls. Things do not change nearly as rapidly as some people like to believe. The hype machine that generates this garbage is from the vocal minority.

PC Gaming has been "dying" for the last 10 years. Get over it, there is and will always be a market for PC Games, it is just a different market. Just like people will continue to line up and pay premiums for apple products, there will always be gamers that demand the extra functionality that a general use computer provides. I'm sure Valve and blizzard are laughing all the way to the bank. Just because you do not understand the niche role that PC Gaming plays doesn't mean that PC Gaming is dying, rather that you don't understand its role. In fact in my perception PC Gaming has done nothing but get stronger over the last few years.

This happens in every evolving industry though. Oh by the way I heard that Mainframes were the death of personal computing. Web hosting is also a dying market. Virtualization is the new trend. Cloud computing is the future. Get all these buzzwords and nonsense out of your thick skulls. Things do not change nearly as rapidly as some people like to believe. The hype machine that generates this garbage is from the vocal minority.

I don't think anyone said "PC Gaming is dying" if you read all the replies correctly, but it is being overtaken slowly by the rapid growth of more mature products that are cheaper and easier to develop. That's a fact.

I hope I'm wrong but there's clues everywhere around my friend. Maybe you choose to ignore them but I've been in this industry since close to the beginning and see things a little differently.

We used to petition game makers for *nix ports when a game was released.. Now it's a crap shoot if there's any PC support at all... I don't call that progress in the right direction..

Not really sure but looked to come from a reliable source via Email. Although Hyphen replied to that Email this morning stating it wasnt him but I didn't see it rebutted in those posts so who knows for sure.

There is speculation here .. .http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18708

If "IW_Hyphen" that posted the message is the real IW_Hyphen and work's for IW ... what a moron. I realy hope its not him but in fact, with what they did ... i dont give a s***. They could all burn in hell.

Anyway ... i think im going to play RISK game now ... there is no new game and they dont change it to often lolllll

• 2 weeks later...

When Activision announced that it would be impossible to host dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2, we thought they reserved the right to host themselves these servers to avoid cheating and piracy. Was overestimated their common sense. In reality, there will be absolutely no dedicated server: the parties will be hosted by the players. Therefore:

The multi is now limited to the 9V9, even on PC.

Players can not choose which host the game.

If the host disconnects, the game will be stopped 5 seconds the time a new player takes over.

The communities will no longer be formed and come together on their favorite servers. They will have to cope with groups Steam.

In competitive matches, the game will be hosted by a player designated by IW.net automatically. If a French team faces a Swedish team and the party is hosted by the Swedish one, it is likely that the French are playing with a ping of 120ms cons of Swedish 30ms (and a host 0ms).

In other words, it becomes impossible to hold serious competition to hand over a LAN where the problem of ping is a little less important. During the chat yesterday, a third of the questions concerned the lack of dedicated servers. Infinity Ward tried to dodge questions, but pushed into a corner they were forced to admit some enormities:

"You can not kick a player in a ranked game. If he says rude things, you can easily mutate."

"There are more than lean on PC (not look), because the game was not planned for."

"The PC version is not a direct port of the console version: it supports the mouse, text chat and can adjust the graphics."

"Tests of IW. Net, I mainly played with 100ms ping and it was great."

I personally think that the dev's are cutting costs and not providing the extra work, for a game to be able to use standalone dedicated servers or the lack of support or development for the MP side for PC versions

here is a short list so far what has gone tits up

Wolfeinstine

Section 8

Call of Jurez 2

OFPDR

Cod MW2

Shattered horrison

Its all about saving money these days.

Even i was hoping MW2 was going to be dedicated that would be an extra at least 150 clients.

As far as i can see now only Valve will be the only developer that will be releasing good and keep updated server files

I personally think that the dev's are cutting costs and not providing the extra work, for a game to be able to use standalone dedicated servers or the lack of support or development for the MP side for PC versions

here is a short list so far what has gone tits up

Wolfeinstine

Section 8

Call of Jurez 2

OFPDR

Cod MW2

Shattered horrison

Its all about saving money these days.

Even i was hoping MW2 was going to be dedicated that would be an extra at least 150 clients.

As far as i can see now only Valve will be the only developer that will be releasing good and keep updated server files

Funny as I wonder who is doing the best out of the games listed. (***cough*** valve)

It's not about cutting costs. This new p2p and match making system probably cost them more to develop than making a dedicated server would have, not to mention the additional costs for maintaining a network like that. It's about control. With this new system they can have as much control over PC users as they do over console users.

They've never hosted official servers.. the only one they control with dedicated servers is the master server which doesn't do much.

It's not about cutting costs. This new p2p and match making system probably cost them more to develop than making a dedicated server would have, not to mention the additional costs for maintaining a network like that. It's about control. With this new system they can have as much control over PC users as they do over console users.

They've never hosted official servers.. the only one they control with dedicated servers is the master server which doesn't do much.

Except rank the servers to prevent other new servers from being listed properly....

lol

Archived