Valheim 1.1

Gotteshand

1 hour ago, Smolf said:

How to add log, to see whats going on with the server?

40 minutes ago, numpty said:

No way as yet. As server doesn't create log file. 

You can go into the web console settings, set the following:

Web console output source: Console output

Web console input source: none

And then make sure you have "Control console's output" check under Text Console.

Enable the web console for users under the feature permissions and they can see the "log." (direct console output) 

That gives you at least some information, and allows customers to debug their own servers.

Edited by Devour9784

46 minutes ago, Smolf said:

We got problems, server disconnect after 10 min gameplay, can anyone help?

Disable Slot monitoring (There is a bug that it displays 64 slots rather than 10 slots) so the slot monitoring sees it as slot tampering

Has anyone suggested adding an -IP flag to the devs? I was going to contact them but didn't want to bother them if it's already been done.

I mentioned it to the devs. And a few others. Possibly -slots, if they are gonna, do moth that 10 as example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can force to log already, just add -logfile $[Service.RootDirectory]valheim_server_Data\output_log.txt

Has anyone encountered servers just wiping progress on stop/restart? I know there is a bug in the game currently but are there any other causes? just want to do due dilligence.

Edited by Ragonz
typo

4 hours ago, Ragonz said:

you can force to log already, just add -logfile $[Service.RootDirectory]valheim_server_Data\output_log.txt

Has anyone encountered servers just wiping progress on stop/restart? I know there is a bug in the game currently but are there any other causes? just want to do due dilligence.

We had this issue initially when it was still saving to app data, We made it that it names the world save `dedicated-serviceid` which fixed it but was not ideal at all.

but since they have added -savedir flag its been 100%

Still getting massive amounts of tickets regarding world wipes on stop/restart. Running a few hundred Valheim-servers across a mix of Xeon and Ryzen nodes.

Plenty of free memory and disk space on our machines.
However, this game is still badly optimized and hogs our CPUs real bad, even when its supposed to be paused (when empty). Been racking new machines since friday to keep up.

Our commandline looks like this:

-nographics -batchmode -name "$[HostName]" -port $[Service.GamePort] -world "![World]" -password "$[PrivatePassword]" -savedir $[Service.RootDirectory]

We do allow our customers to name their worlds whatever they like. We have however not seen the problem more often with worlds that have custom names compared to worlds named "world" or "dedicated"

We have set the Stop Delay for this game to 15s to give it plenty of time for a gracefull shutdown. However, this has not eliminated the problem. All our nodes are Windows-based.

A typical telltale sign when this bug occurs is that a world .db-file drops in size, from e.g. 17 MB to 1 MB. When this happens, the only solution is to restore from a previous backup.

Edited by Spillvert.no
typo + additional info

41 minutes ago, Spillvert.no said:

Still getting massive amounts of tickets regarding world wipes on stop/restart. Running a few hundred Valheim-servers across a mix of Xeon and Ryzen nodes.

However, this game is still badly optimized and hogs our CPUs real bad, even when its supposed to be paused (when empty). Been racking new machines since friday to keep up.

-nographics -batchmode -name "$[HostName]" -port $[Service.GamePort] -world "![World]" -password "$[PrivatePassword]" -savedir $[Service.RootDirectory]

We do allow our customers to name their worlds whatever they like. We have however not seen the problem more often with worlds that have custom names compared to worlds named "world" or "dedicated"

We have set the Stop Delay for this game to 15s to give it plenty of time for a gracefull shutdown. However, this has not eliminated the problem. All our nodes are Windows-based.

A typical telltale sign when this bug occurs is that a world .db-file drops in size, from e.g. 17 MB to 1 MB. When this happens, the only solution is to restore from a previous backup.

Are the wipes happening on fresh servers?

Most common reasons is due to improper shutdown of server like sigterm/sigkill, restarting server within the 30 minutes timeframe it takes for the server to save, and when someone changes the name of their world. In some cases there might even be read/write issues, but since you have hundreds of Valheim servers, i can't see why read/write this should relate to you.

I don't sell servers, but i have about 30 Valheim servers, and i tell people two things. Manually backup their world file, and don't shut down the server within the 30 minute timeframe. It has solved pretty much all my problems at least.

I'm guessing host companies are using scripts and codes to automatically backup world files, so the customer can download/upload and pick the biggest file when a wipe like this occur, and to prevent at least some of the "random" wipes. This might be a solution for you as well.

This is the replies i have recieved from Valheim staffmembers, and the reasons why a wipe occurs. Who knows if there are other reasons in an EA game like this.

3 minutes ago, Sukkerpups said:

Are the wipes happening on fresh servers?

Both fresh and "old" servers with worlds created several days ago, where the worlds will get wiped with the nightly scheduled server-restart. These worlds and the uptime of the game server are well north of the 30 min mark.

5 minutes ago, Sukkerpups said:

I'm guessing host companies are using scripts and codes to automatically backup world files, so the customer can download/upload and pick the biggest file when a wipe like this occur, and to prevent at least some of the "random" wipes. This might be a solution for you as well.

We do have automated scripts that create a compressed copy of the worlds folder on a regular basis. However, some clients complain that if they restore this working backup, the same thing (wipe) happens on the next restart. And then we go full circle.

We all know that this is a early access indie game in it's second week. Let's just hope they prioritize to patch this soon as all we do now is putting out fires 24/7. 

In addition, k8s sends SIGTERM, not SIGINT. This will cause you to lose progress on shutdown (when pod graceful termination fails and k8s sends SIGKILL). You’ll likely need a new preStop script that sends SIGINT to the dedicated server process.

this is what i have read to stop server  from

https://hackersvanguard.com/valheim-dedicated-server-on-kubernetes/

3 hours ago, Spillvert.no said:

TCAdmin will not send CTRL+C to the console to stop the server. The only way around this would be to add a BeforeStop script and use https://github.com/FragnetNetwork/trigger_ctrl_c which will send a CTRL+C to the server so it is stopped gracefully. Varsågod! Pretty sure there is a way to do it with C# as well but too busy to figure out how that would work.

5 hours ago, revivedguy said:

TCAdmin will not send CTRL+C to the console to stop the server. The only way around this would be to add a BeforeStop script and use https://github.com/FragnetNetwork/trigger_ctrl_c which will send a CTRL+C to the server so it is stopped gracefully. Varsågod! Pretty sure there is a way to do it with C# as well but too busy to figure out how that would work.

This was already supported by TCAdmin but I see it broke after adding the fixes required for Windows 10/2019 compatibility. This is fixed in 2.0.160.17. Update to 2.0.160 first and then use TCAdminUpdateTool.exe to update to 2.0.160.17.

With this update TCAdmin will try to stop the game server by sending control+c. By default it will wait for 1.5 seconds. If you need to wait longer:
Go to the game's text console tab.
Uncheck "Control console's input"
Set stop command to "^c" without quotes and adjust "Wait for Exit" as needed.
Save and click on update existing services.

1 hour ago, LFA said:

This was already supported by TCAdmin but I see it broke after adding the fixes required for Windows 10/2019 compatibility. This is fixed in 2.0.160.17. Update to 2.0.160 first and then use TCAdminUpdateTool.exe to update to 2.0.160.17.

With this update TCAdmin will try to stop the game server by sending control+c. By default it will wait for 1.5 seconds. If you need to wait longer:
Go to the game's text console tab.
Uncheck "Control console's input"
Set stop command to "^c" without quotes and adjust "Wait for Exit" as needed.
Save and click on update existing services.

If we are on 2.0.160.2 does this have the fix already or do we need 2.0.160.17?

A bug in 2.0.160.17 was not waiting after sending ctrl+c. This is fixed in 2.0.160.18. If you already updated to 2.0.160.17 update again to 2.0.160.18

3 hours ago, crunkinshoe said:

If we are on 2.0.160.2 does this have the fix already or do we need 2.0.160.17?

Yes you need to update to 2.0.160.18

14 hours ago, LFA said:

A bug in 2.0.160.17 was not waiting after sending ctrl+c. This is fixed in 2.0.160.18. If you already updated to 2.0.160.17 update again to 2.0.160.18

Yes you need to update to 2.0.160.18

After updating to 160.18, all our games lost their default variables https://gyazo.com/ca6396328d8a7777348e868b2d355813

Re-adding the default variables reverts to disabled after settings are saved. And all settings done to them reverts to zero.

So yeah, the update basically broke most games' commandline parameters on our platform.

Trying to revert back to 160.0 now.

Update: Rolling the master back to 160.0 solved the issue for us. All default command line parameters (and their default values, descriptions, regex etc.) was fortunately not lost.

Edited by Spillvert.no
update

1 hour ago, POG said:

I have a question, I got the server to run and can connect to it with IP:port. but it doesnt show up on the server list. even if i search for it. Any Ideas?

Valheim has to many servers to list. Their in game list only shows 4800(ish) servers. I have a lot of them, and some show and some don't, and the next time i refresh some of the other ones show and vice versa. Add your IP to the steam server list (favorites) like numphy said and connect from there (best method to keep track of your server).

Edited by Sukkerpups